Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Helping The World"

I had a conversation earlier about “helping the world.”

I said something like: I almost wish I had stayed in the sciences, particularly biodefense, because then at least I would have the goal of helping the world (as opposed to being a lawyer.)

And the other person said: you’ll help the world some how, even the trashman helps the world.

And I responded: I think the trashman helps the world more than lawyers.

So then I wondered….

Do people without degrees help the world more than people with degrees?

That seems like a giant generalization, as there is unreasonable amount of crossover. But as I wade through seas of academic bullshit and papers written at 1:38 in the morning that have to be completed for credit instead of quality, I can’t help but wonder if we tend to go to college for purely selfish reasons.

It’s no secret that higher education leads to more money, or at least that’s the claim. It’s also not usually the case that with multiple degrees behind them, someone wakes up and goes “I think it’s time for me to work at the post office.”

But it seems to me that white-collar stuffed shirts are not what keep the world running. They might be the “American dream,” but they’re not really America. They’re just its pretty face.

It bothers me that Meg Whitman is a millionaire who has never voted before, and she’s running for office. It’s like I’m that baby chick that wanders around going “are you my mother?” and then goes “Oh, no, you’re that top 1% that I will never be able to relate to.”

Okay maybe the chick doesn’t say that. But it was thinking it.

I’m feeling this urge to make grilled cheese sandwiches for the rest of my life. To feed people and genuinely care about what I’m doing and who I’m interacting with. To give something to my children and my friends that means something to me and brings happiness to others.


I feel like..loving something, instead of just “dealing” with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment