Monday, July 26, 2010

Plugged In/Soundtrack to Life?

I've never been a fan of walking around with headphones in. Never. I've always held firm on the idea that enjoying the world around me was far better than having buds in my ears.

I have, however, been converted.

Recently I've been using my ipod while walking around campus and the city of Berkeley. This behavior might have stemmed out of loneliness, but it has evolved into a quite enjoyable narrative of my day, every day.

The truth is that music is amazing at inducing moods. People think that when you're sad, you listen to sad songs. But I really feel it can be the other way around. I think music is suggestive, and it's just as likely to choose you as you are to choose it.

For example, when I'm listening to P!nk's “So What” I automatically feel like punching a guy in the face, even if I had no intention of doing so the moment before.

When I listen to the soundtrack of Amelie, I notice the beautiful things around me, however subtle they may be. The little glimmers of hope hiding in the bushes become part of a circus-themed walk to class.

I guess this realization makes me a late bloomer, because it seems as though EVERYONE is plugged in. I still feel awkward with my headphones on, so I often look up to see who notices my discomfort. But no one notices. Why? Because they're all doing it too. It's actually pretty strange. We're a whole generation of people walking to our own tunes, literally.

Is this good or bad? Cool or strange? Enjoyable or scary?

I don't know. But here's what's currently floating through my brain:

Funhouse – P!nk

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean, girl. I usually like to listen to nature as opposed to whatever my ipod comes up with, but commuting 2 hours everyday, when I listen to my music, I feel like I can transform the dullness around me on BART into anything I want it to be.

    ReplyDelete